More and more we are hearing about accounts being hacked. It is a scary world we live in when our personal information is available to he right dishonest person. Before I started working with F-Secure, I really did not give it too much thought. I mean, who would really want to hack my stuff? Now I am not so sure about how safe I am on my own. Even worse is coming to the realization that I have been ignoring all the advice I was always given about choosing my password. Ask your self, do you know your Facebook password off the top of your head? How about your banking password? We are all guilty. We either pick something so easy that we will remember it, or we rely on our devises autofill and cookies to remember it for us!
I have learned so much from F-Secure. Here are some of the biggest eye openers for me:
- Create a new email address for online accounts, Don’t share it with ANYONE. Just use it as a log in, a database. So smart, and yet, we don’t do it. With out the log in, how can someone even try to get your password?
- Avoid using the common passwords. Here is a list:
Just plain don’t use them. I know for a fact that some people I know are guilty of this one.
- Use unique passwords. Make it strong
- Use 8 or more characters
- Create a a simple, easy-to-remember system that lets you create many passwords with little effort. For example create a BASE/PIN. Combine the BASE and PIN to create a unique password for a site.
The BASE aMa229
Identifies the site (e.g., Amazon). It’s different for each site and can be written down somewhere.
A short sequence that always stays the same. Memorize this. Do not share it!
- Mix character types. Many sites now demand a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers & special characters
- Recognize that not every account is equal. Which is worse, having someone get into your Twitter account, or you financial accounts? If you are using the same passwords for everything, then if you loose one, you may loose them all.
- Use a password generator to take the pressure off.
F-Secure is offering our readers a great deal!
Download F-Secure and get 2 months of premium for FREE!
To redeem code:
Download KEY on Android/iOS
Android: Go to Menu-Help- Enter PREMIUM VOUCHER
iOS: Help Menu- Promotional Code
After redeeming offer on mobile device PREMIUM works on PC/Mac as well.
Give F-Secure a try, and keep your person information safe!